Prime Minister to present statement on deployment of UPDF in DRC before Parliament this afternoon
A debate on statement from the Minister of Defence and Veteran Affairs, Vincent Ssempijja about the deployment of Uganda People's Defence Forces (UPDF) in the Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC has been deferred after MPs failed to receive the statement for the second time this week.
Ugandan army entered Congo a week ago, in pursuit of the Allied Democratic Forces – ADF rebels, many of whom sought refuge in parts of Beni Territory and North Kivu province, in Eastern DRC. The offensive is implemented jointly with the Armed Forces of the DRC.
Brig. Flavia Byekwaso the UPDF Spokesperson says the UPDF had launched joint air and artillery strikes against ADF camps with their Congolese allies.
The move came after four separate bomb blasts in Uganda in the month of November that claimed the lives of at least 10 people and left several others injured. The Uganda government has blamed the four attacks on ADF.
Last week, Deputy Speaker Anita Among informed parliament that the Minister had asked for more time to present a statement on the matter on Tuesday. While the minister was a no-show on Wednesday, the matter did not come up, even though the item had been listed on the order paper.
However, during its sitting on Wednesday, Lwemiyaga County MP Theodore Ssekikubo expressed fear that all Minister's in the security docket had not appeared before parliament to present a statement and seek the House permission for UPDF's deployment.
Ssekikubo insisted that the deployment in DRC without the permission of the House is against the provisions of the Constitution.
The Deputy Speaker in response, said that the Ministers informed her that they were engaged in other issues of securing the country. She added that the Leader of Government Business, Robinah Nabbanja would today Thursday be asked to present a statement on the matter