MTN customers can now send any amount of money free of charge using MTN MoMo
- For 30-days, customers can now send any amount of Mobile Money every day to other MTN MoMo customers free of charge.
- The offer comes alongside a day-time data bundle that is enabling Ugandans stay on-line and work from home. Customers get 1GB of data at just Ushs 2,000 valid between 9am and 5pm.
- These offers are designed to reduce the risk of transmission by avoiding the physical exchange of currency notes.
- MTN is also supporting government’s sensitization drive by availing UGX 500 million in cash and free media channel space (radio, tv, social media, SMS, call centre IVR platform) to promote the Ministry of Health’s sensitization messages.
- To facilitate the flow of information, MTN Uganda has zero rated Ministry of Health and World Health Organization (WHO) websites, so the public can access information about the virus at no charge. They include; who.int , www.health.go.ug and www.covid19.gou.go.ug
MTN Uganda has further enhanced its Mobile Money offer to allow Ugandans to now send any amount of Mobile Money, at no cost for the next 30 days in a move to minimize the physical exchange of paper money.
The offer is meant to reduce the risk of transmission of covid-19 that has paralysed daily life across the world.
Alongside this offer, the company also launched a data bundle that is enabling customers to work from home. Dubbed ‘Work from home’, the data bundle is meant to promote the concept of ‘social distancing’ while reducing the anticipated negative impact that limited movement and contact between people, may have on both the economic and social fabric of our society.
The ‘work from home’ data bundle can be accessed through Mobile Money by dialing *165*19# or through the MyMTN app.
“This is an extraordinary time, a time when as MTN we need to stand up and be counted on to do the right thing,” said Wim Vanhelleputte, the MTN Uganda CEO.
“MTN is committed to continue working with the government, to reduce the impact and disruption that this pandemic is having on the lives of Ugandans. Working closely with the Ministry of Health, MTN Uganda has committed its media assets including radio, SMS, social media, call centre and continues to implement various precautionary measures to drive awareness among the public to protect themselves,” Wim further commented.
MTN Uganda also made Ushs 500 million available, to facilitate various government endeavours to equip and facilitate various efforts to prevent, manage and curb the spread of covid 19 in Uganda.